Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thunder!

 
Today is Angus Young's birthday. Yep, the devilish schoolkid turns 56 (!)

I was so totally nutso about AC/DC when I was in high school. I listened to them constantly, even listening to grainy bootlegs of live recordings. Hanging out with people, I would tell them obscure facts about the band, regaling how they had to cross the Nullarbor to travel to gigs (though I was often met with glassy-eyed stares). Classes at school were an opportunity to practice drawing the AC/DC logo in the margins of my school paper. And whenever there was a project at school where you had some freedom in choosing the topic, well, I didn't even have to think about what to base the project on.

It was about this time that I discovered the Art of Modern Rock book, profiling the work of gig poster artists. I was hooked. One day in Art class, we were given the project of designing a movie poster, and naturally I chose the feature film Let There Be Rock. When deciding on how to create the poster, I chose the somewhat ambitious task of doing an A2 size eleven colour process screen print.


Looking back on these posters, it kinda makes me want to try my hand at silk screening again. Although the final result was pretty basic and unrefined with quite a few mistakes, I really like the raw and textural feel of the screen print. No two posters are alike, and it feels a bit more special that I screened all the colour separations myself, rather than just clicking the print button.



And just a note for those of you who live in WA, the Western Australian Museum will be holding an exhibition called AC/DC: Australia’s Family Jewels running from 16 April to 7 August 2011. Can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. This is wicked. Willing to part with them? :P

    Let me know if you ever get into silk screening again. I would absolutely love to try it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've been debating whether to get back into silk screening again. I would love to use glow-in-the-dark inks and fluoro colours to create large posters.

    BUT it is quite labour-intensive, and one thing I've realized is that once you create the separations for a large poster, you can't just create smaller posters of the same design (unless you want to do all the colour seps for a smaller piece).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...